Subject: Re: weird error while adding interface aliases
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@confusion.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/1995 19:06:03
In the beginning there was nothing. Then Perry E. Metzger said:

>I keep noticing the following strange error occuring while adding
>interface aliases (i.e. ifconfig xxN inet alias hostname)

>  ifconfig: SIOCAIFADDR: File Exists

>This error seems to have no effect at all and the alias gets added,
>but its weird and disturbing.

>This is on i386 current as of a few weeks ago, by the way.

>Anyone know what the deal is?

I don't know what the problem is, but I've experienced it as well...

It's peculiar to note that the following produces the error:

  ifconfig le0 inet X.X.X.X alias

but

  ifconfig le0 inet alias X.X.X.X

does NOT. This is on NetBSD-Amiga, -current from a while back.

--
	       Michael K. Sanders :: msanders@confusion.net
      Free your system, and your mind will follow. NetBSD, free UN*X.

 The Confusion Network :: Creating Chaos out of Anarchy for a Better Tomorrow
 time taught the killing game herself