Subject: Re: multiple mounts on one mountpoint?
To: Trevor Blackwell <tlb@eecs.harvard.edu>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/11/1995 17:59:26
On Thu, 10 Aug 1995, Trevor Blackwell wrote:

> > I would have expected that trying to mount something on a directory
> > already in use as a mount point would have given an error.  It doesn't
> > on either 1.0/i386 or -current/i386.
>
> This is a 4.4 feature -- stackable mounts. There was a paper about it
> in the Winter 1995 Usenix.
>
> It's annoying, though, when I edit fstab and do mount -a, in which
> case it remounts multiple instances of some of the file systems. It
> perhaps should avoid mounting the _same_ file system twice on the same
> mount point.

	mount -a has been modified to not do this anymore.
	mount -A now performs the old (quirky) behaviour :)

		abs

 D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME) +44 171 477 8186  {post,host}master  (abs)
Network Analyst, UCS, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
   <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.city.ac.uk >>>