Subject: Re: inn and mmap()ing the active file
To: None <vuori@sci.fi, michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Captech) <greywolf@tomcat.VAS.viewlogic.com (James Graham>
List: current-users
Date: 08/10/1995 15:23:03
Valtteri Vuorikoski wrote:

#:I've been having problems getting my inn to work correctly, and today I found
#:out that the active-file isn't getting written to the disk after it's changed,
#:so I have to do ctlinnd reload active "". I applied an earlier patch from this
#:list which should make it do msync() when the active-file changes to it, but
#:it doesn't seem to have helped.
#:
#:Is there anything to do besides tell it to not use mmap() for the active file
#:

Michael VanLoon replied:
#: You need to add an msync() call to the INN code where it syncs the
#: active file (don't remember where, exactly).  The idiot INN author
#: refuses to put this into his code, because he says only "broken"
#: systems need it, and he isn't about to cater his code to broken
#: systems.  Email from a wide variety of users might modify his
#: disposition.

Indeed.  Anyone who is using the mmap() stuff without using msync() is
a) asking for trouble and b) doesn't know how to use mmap() properly and
should therefore RTFM before playing with his new toy.

Who *is* the author of INN anyway?

					--*greywolf
	/* not having access to a system on which INN source resides at the
	 * moment... */