Subject: Re: How to set up NetBSD client of bootp
To: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/1995 11:11:35
In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.950809110611.21825z-100000@euston>, David Brownlee writes:

> 	There was a bootp client for linux around somewhere - someone
> 	here is supposed to be looking at getting it running on our
> 	Solaris 2 boxes by october - if you cant find a copy on a linux
> 	archive bounce me a mail & I'll rattle their cage & find out where
> 	they got it.

I would love to be able to do this, and have even given it a go or
two.  However, everytime I try, I run into brick walls.  I have a
modified bootp (2.4.5?) distribution from CMU.  There is a program
called bootptest, which I tried to modify to get the configuration
from a bootp server.  However, there are problems, since the interface
is not up and working yet.  Also, the TCP/IP stack seems to drop
packets that are not for it.

I don't know what I will need to do with the interface, to be able
to do a sendto(IN_BROADCAST_ADDR) on it, and rcvfrom(IN_ADD_ANY) on it.
If someone has code to get the virgin interface into a state that will
allow me to do the above, I don't think the rest will be much of a
problem.

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru? Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |