Subject: Re: upgrade gcc to 2.7?
To: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.Oz.Au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/1995 11:50:44
   On Aug 4,  3:56pm, J.T. Conklin wrote:
   } We also missed out on all the bugs that gcc 2.6.X had for some
   } architectures too.  The 2.6.X releases were not acceptable candidates
   } for integrating into the NetBSD tree.  2.7.0 isn't either.  I've found
   } some rather interesting bugs with bitfields on the m68k.

   The flip side is that versions prior to 2.5.8 or thereabouts generated
   bad Sparc code when optimization was turned on.

i've never had _any_ problems with the 2.4.5 on my netbsd/sparc system
in the more than 18 months i've had it.  i've even built most of my system
with 2.6.0 when i ported it to netbsd/sparc, and also with a pre-release
of 2.7.0 (though, i didn't build src/gnu this time).  neither time did i
notice any problems.  and i always use -O2 and sometimes with -g.

.mrg.