Subject: Re: name service (does anyone else see this?)
To: None <jhawk@panix.com, woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@mbfys.kun.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/1995 03:36:17
John Hawkinson <jhawk@panix.com> wrote:
> > From: woods@kuma.web.net (Greg A. Woods)
> > To: John Hawkinson <jhawk@panix.com>
> > Cc: msanders@confusion.net (Michael K. Sanders),
> >         mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU, current-users@NetBSD.ORG
>
> > > You should certainly use the loopback address in preference to
> > > 0.0.0.0, which is entirely bogus. If any implementation accepts it,
> > > it's confused itself.

I seem to recall from the IP spec that network all-bits-zero means
"this network, even though I don't know its number (yet)", and the host
part all-bits-zero means "this host, even though I don't know its
number (yet)". So it's reasonable for the address 0.0.0.0 to be the
local host.

-Olaf.
--
     Have you indecently fucked this Exon idiot and his allies today?
___              Copyright 1995 Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert. All Rights Reserved.