Subject: Re: CVS & import scripts
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/1995 12:26:04
[ On Fri, August  4, 1995 at 21:15:19 (+0200), Niklas Hallqvist wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS & import scripts
>
> On the contrary, my CVS files doesn't get overwritten!  I can't
> remember seeing any CVS files when I sup.  I've earlier supped from
> sup.netbsd.org, and lately from wipux2.somewhere-in-germany, and I
> haven't seen that problem.  Where do you sup from?  Anyway, this has
> served as warning, I'll see if I shouldn't temporarily write-protect
> the CVS dirs when supping.

Two possibilities:

	- wipux2 doesn't have CVS directories in the sup directory
	- sup ignores CVS directories because it seems your local copies
	are newer?

> I do this as well, + the additions to make a diff since last sup to
> merge into my working tree.  I prefer diff & patch to cvs merge
> because I can easily browse through the diff.

If I understand your procedure now you are doing something like this:

	cd ~/sup
	cvs co -ko -r BSD netbsd	# only done once
	sup into ~/sup/netbsd
	script_to_remove_add_commit_and_diff
	cd ~/hack
	cvs co -ko netbsd		# only done once
	patch < ../sup/recent_diffs

I.e. you create a diff from ~/sup/netbsd of the changes between the
latest sup and the one before.  You then apply those diffs as a patch to
your local working directory instead of doing a join from the vendor
branch.

Do you always have a "clean" (i.e. nothing to checkin) working directory
before you apply the patches?

Do you tag anything in either your main branch or the vendor branch?

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>