Subject: Re: recent changes to YP.
To: Phil Nelson <phil@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>
From: Jason Downs <downsj@SJ.Xenotropic.COM>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1995 10:44:21
In message <199508030000.RAA21377@steelhead.cs.wwu.edu>,
	Phil Nelson writes:
>[...]  For a detailed list of which portions of a passwd
>entry may be overridden with the YP prototype, see passwd(5).

The manual page should say something like 'on some systems the passwd field
may also be overriden.'  If you want that, you need to turn on the
undocumented YP_OVERRIDE_PASSWD compile time option when you build
your C library; just add it after -DYP in the top level library
Makefile.

It is done like that because the standard as described in _Managing NFS and
NIS_ and how YP is implemented in SunOS differ.  By default, it does
it by the book, instead of like Sun-broken-OS.  It is a compile time
option because the SunOS way is, uhh, broken and insecure.

My thanks to those people that have been using this code for last year
and a half.

--
Jason Downs           | GCS/CM -d+ H(+++) s+:++ !g p? !au w+ v-(*)
downsj@xenotropic.com | C++(+++) UBAVHS++++$ P--- E--- N+++ W--- M-- V--