Subject: Re: CVS & import scripts
To: None <woods@kuma.web.net>
From: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1995 21:15:19
   Date: Fri, 4 Aug 95 15:26:53 -0400 (EDT)
   From: woods@kuma.web.net (Greg A. Woods)

   [ On Fri, August  4, 1995 at 11:57:42 (+0200), Niklas Hallqvist wrote: ]
   > Subject: Re: CVS & import scripts
   >
   > I'm confused!  This is exactly what I am doing...  It works OK.  I

   Yikes!  You mean you let sup over-write your CVS/Entries,
   CVS/Repository, and CVS/Root files?

On the contrary, my CVS files doesn't get overwritten!  I can't
remember seeing any CVS files when I sup.  I've earlier supped from
sup.netbsd.org, and lately from wipux2.somewhere-in-germany, and I
haven't seen that problem.  Where do you sup from?  Anyway, this has
served as warning, I'll see if I shouldn't temporarily write-protect
the CVS dirs when supping.

   What I meant was to sup directly into the result of a 'cvs co -r NetBSD
   NetBSD' assuming "NetBSD" is both the module name and the name of the
   vendor branch tag.

I do this (although I have BSD as the tag, a little misguided maybe).

   Then you a 'cvs remove' of the deleted files, a 'cvs add' of the new
   files (being careful to add them to the vendor branch), and a 'cvs
   commit' of the changed files, and optionally a 'cvs tag' if you don't do
   the sup on a regular basis and would like to mark each occurance.

I do this as well, + the additions to make a diff since last sup to
merge into my working tree.  I prefer diff & patch to cvs merge
because I can easily browse through the diff.

   I'd only run the script to do the remove's (add's and commit's) by hand
   after examining the sup log and comparing that to the "daily CVS update
   output" from the source mailing list.  I've seen sup go wild too often.

I do this as well, but my reason is that a full sup often requires
several trials before it succeeds (I'm on a dialup link), and I need
to paste the different logs together carefully.

   On the other hand, perhaps it would be better for folks to replicate the
   actual CVS repository if they're really going to sup and "import" every
   day.

I'd really love that.