Subject: Re: mail setup
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/1995 20:14:33
> Now that pppd seems to be working for me I want to do mail. I talked to a
> friend of mine that runs Linux. He said he just runs a pop client from ip-up
> to retrieve his mail from his service provider. I guess the client puts the
> mail in /usr/spool/mail on his home machine. I don't have a static ip address.
> Is this the best way to do mail? If so, can someone suggest an appropriate
> client? Any configuration information is appreciated. Thanks.

Get popclient from ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/.5/linux/sunsite/system/Mail/pop.
Then edit popclient's config.h as follows:
   MDA_PATH  to "/usr/libexec/mail.local"
   MDA_ALIAS to "mail.local"
   MDA_ARGS  to "-f POPmail $u"   (the -f part is optional)

You could have popclient copy the mail directly into /var/spool/mail, but
using mail.local eliminates mail folder locking problems that you would
get with a direct copy.

For almost transparent mail delivery, create a crontab for yourself such as:

0-59/5   *       *       *       *      /usr/local/bin/popclient -s -u
  USERNAME -p "PASSWORD" POPSERVER >/dev/null 2>&1

If you have NetBSD/m68k, you can get my precompiled copy at:
ftp://ftp.uni-regensburg.de/pub/os/misc/NetBSD-Amiga
  /contrib/popclient-2.21.tar.gz

---
Jeff Thieleke
thieleke@icaen.uiowa.edu