Subject: Re: CVS & import scripts
To: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1995 23:51:54
[ On Wed, August  2, 1995 at 02:40:38 (+0200), Rolf Grossmann wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS & import scripts
>
> on Sat, 29 Jul 1995 14:52:23 -0500 (CDT) VaX#n8 wrote
> concerning "Re: CVS & import scripts" something like this:
>
> > So I suppose my questions are:
> > 1) should the CVS directories really be sent to all sup'ers?
>
> No, they should not. As I'm not using sup I have no idea whether it can be
> avoided, though.

I think the only way to avoid them properly would be for the nightly sup
updates to be done with 'cvs export'.  Unfortunately that would add to
the nightly updates the cost of doing a 'cvs tag' on the entire tree
(either to move the tag if you mjust maintain one daily marker, or to
create a new one and eventually one might want to delete an old one,
esp. since it's just a daily marker); as well as an rm-rf on the export
directory prior to the new 'cvs export'.  This is a big job for an
entire OS tree!

I sure would like the tar-balls to be done with 'cvs export' though.

BTW, if the sup tree didn't include the CVS directories, one could sup
directly into a cvs working directory of the current branch, then just
doing a checkin would update the local repository.  This would make it
possible to save the big 'cvs imports' for the periodic "officially
blessed" tar-balls.

This reminds me -- I'd *love* to be able to add to my RCS files the
accumulated log entries for each file on at minimum each 'cvs import' of
the tar-balls.  Unfortunately there's no easy way to generate or pass
this data, even though it wouldn't be hard to have cvs use it.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP			robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets Of The Weird <woods@weird.com>