Subject: Re: upgrade gcc to 2.7?
To: Niklas Hallqvist <niklas@appli.se>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1995 17:34:38
On Aug 3,  9:43pm, niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) wrote:

|    Have you tried to compile any c++ code with g++-2.7.0? I don't understand
|    how can fsf release the compile when it does not even compile groff?
|
| Hey, come on, do you read the README files with software?  As ISO has
| changed the standard dealing with scopes of decl in side the for-init
| statements, so has G++ changed the rule.  THIS IS NOT A BUG!  Period.
| If one cares, the info is there in big letters in the docs and in the
| FAQs and in the newsgroups.  If you want to retain old behaviour use
| -fno-for-scope, groff needs it.  You may know that dealing with
| release issues isn't easy when you don't synchronize everything.
| The FSF doesn't do this because it would be a too big burden (the
| developper count is just too big, unlike the NetBSD core).
|
| So don't ever use this argument again, please, I've seen it too many
| times.
|
| It's like saying NetBSD is buggy because off_t is 64 bit.

No I am not an idiot contrary to popular belief; when I say it does not
compile, I mean that the resulting binary core-dumps even after I fix
all of the for loop index variables. I know that this is a compiler bug,
because the code compiles and runs with 2.6.2 after my fixes...

Have you compiled a working version on groff on the sparc with 2.7.0?

christos