Subject: makewhatis.sed
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/1995 20:20:15
I'm looking for the "correct" way to rebuild the whatis database.  I
found the makewhatis.sed file in /usr/share/man ('though it needed a
chmod +x), but it has absolutely *no* documentation.  I also couldn't
find a man page that talked about this (I checked man(1), apropos(1),
and whatis(1)).  (As far as that goes, it seems rather silly to put
this particular bit of documentation in the man pages, since you can't
use apropos to figure out which man page to check until you've read
the (hypothetical) man page...)

>From what I can tell, I need to do something ugly (and slow) like:
find $MANPATH -name '*.[0-9]' -exec "cat {} | \
 /usr/share/man/makewhatis.sed >> /usr/share/man/whatis.db"

But I keep thinking that there's got to be a better way.

					Chris

--
**********************cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu**********************
* Chris  | "Nobody likes brain alteration!"                              *