Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@knoware.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 08/01/1995 06:21:51
>The rc2 and rc3 scripts doing the ls K* and S* trik are hopelesly brain dead
>on most "standard" systems. When switching from level2 to 3 and back all of
>rc2.d is ran again without check of their need.

While this is braindead, if we are to go with rc?.d, I feel we should at
least stick to the interface of it as far as, say, the Solaris "standard"
goes, i.e.,
 - before going to run level 2, all rc2.d/K* get called with "stop", then all
   of rc2.d/S* get called with "start";
 - when shutting down or rebooting, all rc0.d/K* get called with "stop".

Frankly, I couldn't care less about everything else, but attempts at
improving the way things are handled (i.e., by calling the stop scripts in
reverse alphabetical order, or bringing down a multiuser system by calling
all of rc2.d/K*) might add more confusion.

HP-UX 10 springs to mind.

My two cents...
                                                -- Bert Driehuis

------
Bert Driehuis                 God, grant me the serenity to accept the things
driehuis@utrecht.knoware.nl   I can't change, courage to change the things I
                              can, and the wisdom to know the difference.