Subject: Re: ccd device
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@headcandy.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/1995 10:24:57
On Sat, 29 Jul 1995 00:29:46 -0700
 "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> wrote:

 > I'm thinking about getting a couple of those Quantum 731MB drives in
 > the next couple weeks and "striping" them with the ccd device.  Does
 > anyone have any experience using this lately?  Especially on an Intel
 > (AMD actually ;-) box?  Is the driver fairly stable and usable for the
 > main /usr partition?

Well, I certainly believe that the ccd is stable ... It's been in use on
a production machine at Oregon State U's CS Dept since 1.0 on an hp380,
their www/ftp/gopher server.  Actually, there are 3 ccds on that machine
now, one 2-hp7937 and two 4-hp7937.

As for on a non-hp300 platform, I hacked config.new a while back to DTRT
with ccd configuration stuff, and have a ccd on two Toshiba MK438FB SCSI2
disks on my i486.  I rely on it everyday -- it has _all_ of my
work-related source on it.

 > The man page says that it only exists for hp300 in 1.0.  I assume this
 > is correct (in that it won't work on i386 in 1.0).  Is this true?  I
 > also believe it was made port-non-specific in current, and should now
 > work on all platforms.  Correct?

The ccd as it stands in the tree works only on the hp300 (and probably
the pmax with very little effort, like the right conf.c entries).
Really, the correct thing to do with the ccd is dynamic configuration,
which is what I've been working on for the last couple of weeks (well, I
was really on vacation last week.. :-)  It's not quite done yet in that
`it works', but there's alot of things that can be done better (I have a
27-item list :-)