Subject: upgrade gcc to 2.7?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/1995 03:18:14
Hi, All.

What's the thoughts on this?  Would there be any problems with updating
the gcc to 2.7?  I have done so on my i386 port, and know others who
have done it on the m68k and sparc ports.  The source tarballs made last
night compile and work fine with 2.7 (well, the ones that work with the
current gcc, at least :).  Perhaps this would help solve our ID string
problems as well.

The reason I'm wanting to upgrade is that some of the newer things
coming out count on a g++ that is evolving with the ANSI standard, such
as octave, the math (like Matlab) package.  I hear that pentium
optimization will be in 2.7.1.  Anyone else hear this rumor?

Oh, the one problem that I am running into with 2.7 is that npx.c is not
compiling due to some asm problem.  I will post about this after
resaearching it and seeing if using the old gcc fixes it.

Mark