Subject: Re: POSIX & symlink ownership
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/1995 17:15:47
> No, because POSIX doesn't mandate it.  I just checked my copy of the
> standard (ISO/IEC 9945-1; IEEE 1003.1-1990), and it seems that the
> only place "symbolic link" is mentioned in the normative section is in
> the descriptions of the tar and cpio archive format.

As i've siad before, to others, in private mail:

The behaviour that is implemented in 4BSD (and NetBSD) is described in
a draft of an amendment to .1 (i think).  It's not yet a "real"
standard, but it's likely that it will be.

I'm not comletely familiar with the behaviour described, but Keith
Bostic went out of his way to explain it in symlink(7).

chris