Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1995 12:29:54
> Here's my pet peeve with this system.  There is noeasy way to have networking
> turned on in single user mode.  I often find myself in single-user mode doing
> low-level maintanence on a machine and discover I need to get a file over
> from a remote box.  Getting the network up is annoying.  I need to set
> the host name, run ifconfig, and if I want nfs, start biod and nfsd all
> using the bourne shell (command history?  command line editing? what are
> those?).

Hmmm, I use /sbin/ksh in single user mode, no problems.  Even ash
(*BSD's /bin/sh) supports history and editing these days.  Try:

/bin/sh
set -o emacs
^P

who could ask for more?

> An init level won't do it for me,

Why?  Why can't you define (as many folk do) an init level that has
just about everything running but won't let users in.

> and figuring out which scripts to run
> from all of those funny names in the /etc/rc?.d's is difficult since I

The names do not _have_ to be funny.  Nothing funny about init.d/network
or even rc.d/S30network, what could it cost you to wing it and try

	sh /etc/init.d/network start

I've been following this thread for a few days now, and I'm yet to see
a decent argument against rc.d/* or equivalent.

Hey I hate Solaris as much as anyone, but there are SysV features that
I do like.  /etc/init.d is one, runlevels are another, and believe it
or not a _decent_ implementation of the SysV lp system would be a
third (but that's another thread).

--sjg