Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1995 15:00:00
Greg Earle writes:
>Next somebody's gonna recommend something brilliant like the System V "init"
>use of a named pipe in /etc (/etc/initpipe) so we can have a named pipe in the
>filesystem and cause extremely common things that people ;do like "cd /etc ;
>grep <something> *" to get wedged ...

Of course, since named pipes are optional in the BSD kernel this would
be a Unix domain socket, which wouldn't have that problem.

Maybe you haven't realised this yet.  We're not suggesting to
reimplement SysV, we're just trying to figure out if we can take the
underlying ideas and implement them in a sane way.
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org		+49 721 606137

Es genuegt nicht, keine Gedanken zu haben;
man muss auch unfaehig sein, sie auszudruecken.  - Karl Kraus