Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marc Unangst <mju@cs.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1995 09:15:11
kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu (Ken Nakata) writes:
>I personally wish there was a similar functionality in NetBSD.  That
>way I wouldn't have to move /etc/resolv.conf around each time I bring
>up and down SLIP (= the only net connection on my box), for example.

I don't think I understand why you need to do this.  When your SLIP
connection is up, you presumably have a default route through it, and
your nameserver is accessible.  When your SLIP connection is down, you
remove the default route, and attempts to reach your nameserver
immediately fail with a "network unreachable" error.  Or you could
leave the route in place and just ifconfig sl0 down, so they fail with
"network is down".  So what's the problem with leaving resolv.conf in
place?

-Marc