Subject: Re: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Szabolcs Szigeti (PinkPanther) <pink@fsz.bme.hu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/26/1995 13:01:39
[ On Tue, July 25, 1995 at 14:06:22 (-0400), Perry E. Metzger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/default
>
> Chris G Demetriou writes:
> > It's not clear to me that having the full SysV inittab generality is
> > really worthwhile...  (i, personally, have always found the notion of
> > having N different run levels annoying.
>
> Agreed. They do no good. On the other hand...

Well, I know at least one good application of run-levels: we had two
solaris machines, configured so that in case of a failure, the spare one
could take over the work. Every day the filesystems were synchronized.
Now typing init 4 on the spare, would make it magically turn it into
the first one (like changing IP addresses and stuff.)

So here is one use of run-levels.

szabolcs