Subject: Re: Symlink ownership
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1995 18:28:40
What is wrong with having symlinks owned by their creators?

To review, since the problem has not been explicitly stated: at the moment,
symlinks are owned by their containing directory.  The problem is, if a
user creates a symlink in a sticky directory (e.g. /tmp), then s/he will
not be able to delete it when done, since the user does not own the
object in question.

If symlinks were owned by their creators, then this problem goes away.
It's also appealing from a sysadmin's point of view: if I see a strange
symlink in /tmp, I want to know who did it.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key