Subject: Power PC platforms (was LINUX DEBUTS ON POWERPC)
To: Jeremy C. McDermond <mcdermj@PEAK.ORG>
From: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
List: current-users
Date: 07/25/1995 08:38:32
Hi

Jeremy C. McDermond wrote:

> IBM just released their 43P series - PPC 604 based boxes - these aren't
> really economical - but they did something really funky when the released
> these beasts...
>
> Their PC Division simultaneously released their Model 580's - they're also
> a PPC 604 based PCI bus box.  Standard features are:
> 	540 Mb IDE drive
> 	Built in Ethernet
> 	Built in 1280x1024 graphics adapter
> 	Built in sound
> 	16 Mb memory

I was looking at one of those, but the pricing here in Africa (even at the
educational rates) is still 200% more than the Tatung based machine...

The Tatung machine comes standard with a 1G disk and a 2MB S3-VRAM card
for graphics, I'll have more details as soon as I get some glossies.

The local agents are planning a launch this month I think....

et
--
Ernst J. du Toit (TED5)           Internet: ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za
School of Electrical Engineering  BELTEL  : 175250 / Amateur Radio: ZR1ABB