Subject: /etc/default
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Szabolcs Szigeti (PinkPanther) <pink@fsz.bme.hu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1995 09:32:04
Hi,

I was just playing with a svr4 machine (solaris) and really liked the
idea of /etc/default. Here you can define things like default device
for dump, without recompiling.

What is the general view about this? Is it a Good or a Bad thing?

I've just started to write a library routine which extracts all
kinds of defaults. It is a bit different from the svr4 implementation.

And while we are at svr4: I think some of the ideas there are worth
taking a look at. One is the inittab stuff, the other is the nsswitch.

I even know a volounteer to write nsswitch.

szabolcs