Subject: Bizarre bug in NFS/mmap code
To: None <gnats-bugs@NetBSD.ORG, current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <abs@mono.city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/24/1995 21:37:09
>Submitter-Id:	net
>Originator:	David Brownlee
>Organization:	Monochrome
>Confidential:	no
>Synopsis:	Bizarre bug in NFS/mmap code
>Severity:	serious
>Priority:	medium
>Category:	kern
>Class:		sw-bug
>Release:	Jun 9th 1995
>Environment:	sparc, 1.0A, current
System: NetBSD gluon.city.ac.uk 1.0A NetBSD 1.0A (GLUON) #1: monoadm@gluon.city.ac.uk:/mono/u1/NetBSD/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GLUON sparc

	I have a file NFS mounted from a SunOS 4.1.3u1 fileserver onto various
	machines. One of which is a sun4 running NetBSD -current (muon)
	It used to be       "abs culf dp myth norm nostra socrates tjfas tugs"
	It was changed to   "abs culf dp myth norm nostra tjfas tugs"
	'cat' on muon gives "abs culf dp myth norm nostra tjfas tugs"
	'vi' on muon gives  "abs culf dp myth norm nostra socrates tj"

	vi, cat, more, (other editor), on various other machines give the
	correct result.

>How-To-Repeat:
	I wouldn't like to guess

>Fix:
	Truely unknown - I guess this is mmap() interacting with nfsiod or
	similar. The situation seems stable (which does cause the odd problem
	:) I'm totally open to suggestions as to things to try to better
	identify this!