Subject: Re: strict typechecking on kernel compiles
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/1995 10:03:43
>For my own code, I do.  I use wgcc, which is a wrapper script for gcc
>-Werror -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings
>-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-uninitialized.

I wonder if this isn't *too* strong for the kernel -- in particular,
for ``polymorphic'' structs-of-function-pointers, like protosw?

The calling convention is (supposedly) more-or-less fixed within a
given protocol family, but varies from family to family.  Or, if you
will, the protosw switch is being used as a form of
pseudo-object-oriented programming -- like a vtbl.

This isn't going to pass strong typechecking unless the kernel is
transliterated into C++ (gack).