Subject: Re: name service (does anyone else see this?)
To: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
From: Thorsten Lockert <tholo@toad.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/1995 12:18:22
> > >Sounds like named cache corruption.
> > >
> > >If it happens again, I'll investigate more fully...
> >
> > I think the effort is better spent encouraging bind-4.9.3 to be
> > incorporated in current.
> >
> > Paul Vixie really seems to want to release 4.9.3B24.

Some interesting log entries from BIND 4.9.3BETA24...:

356. fixed odd corner case bug in res_query().

202. name compression is now case-insensitive.

86. a long standing bug in the name hashing code that caused it to ``hash in''
    the case of the name's characters, was found and fixed.  (twice.) (Vixie)

84. the RFC1101 implementation of getnetby*() was using case-sensitive
    string compares.

My guess is that one or more of these may be what causes some older versions
of BIND to sometimes claim no matches...

Thorsten
--
Thorsten Lockert        | postmaster@sigmasoft.com | Universe, n.:
1262 Golden Gate Avenue | hostmaster@sigmasoft.com |         The problem.