Subject: Re: Stuff not working after update to current
To: alphaepsilon <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
From: Mark F Willey <willey@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/1995 11:51:59
"In a previous message, alphaepsilon wrote:"

> * My NCR SCSI card reports an occasional one of the following errors
> every time I do a major file operation:
> Jul 19 19:01:33 tetrahydrocannabinol /netbsd: ncr0: timeout ccb=f86fc800 (skip)

I get the same thing on my NCR card.  Why are we always having the same
problems???  ;-)  I notice that when this happens, the drives are silent
for a second and then start up again.  You aren't using QL730S's, are you?
(Quantum Lightning 730mb SCSI-II)

> * "Shutdown -r now" results in the machine hanging (though it does
> still ping).  "reboot" works just fine.  Although I am running afs
> clients, they print out their normal shutdown messages before it
> hangs.

I get something like that.  It says "SYNCING..."<here, it halts>.
Apparently, it does not complete the sync, because fsck has work to do.

> * The XFree86 aperture driver doesn't work at all under this current.
> When I run X trying to use it, my monitor doesn't mode switch and I
> get black and white boxes all over the screen on top of eachother.

I guess this is not entirely suprising as the kernel data structures have
changed so much.  I just run in insecure mode.  For now, this may be your
best solution.

> Well, anyone is welcome to give me advice on what to do to debug any of
> these.  I'm completely frustrated.

Don't be frustrated.  As far as the disk corruption goes, just cut your
losses and move on.  I just lost my *whole* disk due to my negligence a few
months back.  It was kind of like having your house burn down, I guess.
You're sad for the loss, but it lets you start over fresh, which is what
you need sometimes.

As far as X slowness goes, you really need lots of RAM, I have decided.  If
you don't have at least 16mb, get it.  I believe that once I get another 16
(to 32), my life will be much more satisfying.  ;-)

Oh, BTW, I assume your Sound Blaster problems have disappeared with the new
drivers?  I can play, but the sound is scratchy.  Maybe it's the samples.
I have not had luck recording at all.  My big problem is that I don't know
which applications or methods to use when doing sound!  Does anyone know
which apps are out there, or is catting /dev/audio the whole of the
solution?

Mark