Subject: alternate destination for pwd_mkdb files
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/1995 20:45:17
I was thinking about a problem I had with pwd_mkdb when upgrading
1.0 to a more recent snapshot a while ago.  And the persons discussing
how to set up a password file for ftp. (Again, some time ago.)  I
am thinking about adding a -d option to pwd_mkdb, to make it write
its files to a given directory, instead of /etc.  I think it would
make sense to change pwd.h _PATH_MP_DB (and the like) to _FILE_MP_DB,
eliminate the /etc/ part of the #define, and then add a
#define _PATH_PWD "/etc"

Then, if "pwd_mkdb foo" is run, it prepends _PATH_PWD to _FILE_MP_DB
and runs like it always did.  If "pwd_mkdb -d /otherdir foo" is
executed, it prepends (in this case) argv[2] instead of _PATH_PWD.
Would it be a *BAD* thing to hack pwd.h?  Comments?  Suggestions?

Jon