Subject: Re: netstat -g
To: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.oscs.montana.edu>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/13/1995 09:00:30
> netstat -g gives the following error on my system (Mac IIcx):
>
> Multicast Forwarding Cache
>  Hash  Origin           Mcastgroup       Traffic  In-Vif  Out-Vifs/Forw-ttl
> netstat: kvm_read kvm_read: Bad address
>     0  0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0               0        0
>
> The following are all built from July 10 sources: kernel, includes,
> libc, libkvm, and netstat.
>
> What's wrong here?

Uh, do you have 'options MROUTING' compiled into your kernel?  Not
having seriously used the mcast code, i'm not 100% sure, but reading
the netstat man page, i see:

     -g    Show information related to multicast (group address) routing.  By
           default, show the IP Multicast virtual-interface and routing ta-
           bles.  If the -s option is also present, show multicast routing
           statistics.

if there's no multicast routing code around, i'd assume it wouldn't
work.  (i think it should give a better error message than that,
though...  8-)

if you _do_ have multicast code compiled into your kernel, well, then
it's obviously a different problem.  probably, the queue structures
aren't being manipulated properly, or something...

chris