Subject: Re: Mouse fries slowly and dies under X-3.1.1 in -current
To: Administration <admin@fcollins.com.au>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/1995 00:39:17
Davyd,

> Had great fun (!?!) upgrading to -current from the 1.0 distribution sets.
> The -current sources are so far in front of the 1.0 stuff that I think it
> might be time to make a minor version (at least one that stops that ld.so
> NIGHTMARE!! - that one had me going for a few days until I saw the install
> hints posted - thanks whoever!)
>
> Since there have been a few changes since the last time the install script
> was posted, I would be happy to compile a FAQ/HINTS on upgrading to -current
> if you all think it is worth it.  Of course once you have done it, you don't
> have the satisfaction of the whole thing crumbling around your ears any
> more, so the doc would rely on people who have recently built -current to
> keep me informed of any necessary changes.

I've been updating the instructions regularly - I just don't post them
anymore, as they get out of date so quickly.  For the most up-to-date
instructions on doing a source upgrade from 1.0 to 1.0A, take a look
at:

ftp://charon.amdahl.com/pub/agc/NetBSD-1.0-to-1.0a-instructions-after-95-04-08
ftp://charon.amdahl.com/pub/agc/NetBSD-1.0-to-1.0a-instructions-after-95-06-26
ftp://charon.amdahl.com/pub/agc/NetBSD-1.0-to-1.0a-instructions-after-95-07-08

It all depends on the date of your sources.
[And I did a source upgrade on one of the i386 boxes here two weeks ago.]

> Also are there any other window managers around apart from twm?? Something a
> little more Motif without the price tag?? :-)

fvwm does things a lot like mwm, is free, virtual, and quite small.
Take a look on

	ftp://spcot.sanders.com/pub/fvwm/

Version 1.24r is stable, 2.0 is in pre-release beta form at the moment,
but is quite nice.

Cheers,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)                	   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.