Subject: Help with >1024 cyl drive
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/1995 06:21:34
Dear NetBSDers,
   I am attempting to set up NetBSD on a i386 machine Packard Bell Pentium
with a Gig drive. Both the CMOS and NetBSD when probing see the drive as:

2099 cyl, 16 heads and 63 sectors/track

However both PFDISK and FIPS12 report:

522 cyl, 63 heads and 63 sectors/track

My guess is that something is maping stuff in DOS to less than 1024
cylinders.

This disk must be usable both by DOS and NetBSD and presently we have
the disk partitioned for cylinders 300-522 (these are what DOS calls
cylinders).

Since the total number of sectors is off my a fair margin do I tell
NetBSD to start at 63*63*300 (1190700) sector or do I assume the
mapping which takes place results in each "dos" cylinder starting
on an actual cylinder (at 4*300) 1200 cylinder (4 from ceiling of
63/16)?

The two most critical things are I don't want to put the NetBSD partition
on the last part of the DOS partition and when I boot the computer I want
it to be able to find the correct start of the NetBSD partition.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

johnh...