Subject: Re: ed0 driver with wd8003E 8-bit cards
To: G. David Butler <butler@sun1-dal.tx.stratus.com>
From: The Grey Wolf <aellwood@MIT.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/1995 13:01:20
>I am having problems with NetBSD -current 071095 i386 and an old wd8003E
>ethernet card.  After ifconfig ed0 [host_ip] I can ping host_ip
>just fine.  If I ping another host on the net I get nothing back.
>If I have another host on the net ping host_ip I get:
>
>        ed0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 4608
>
>When the kernel boots I get:
>
>        ed0 at isa0 port 0x280-0x29f iomem 0xd0000-0xd1fff irq 9:
>        address blah, type WD8003E (8-bit)
>
>The card is soft configured to exactly those settings.  I have two of
>these cards and both behave the same.  In addition, they both work using
>NCSA Telnet.
>
>There are no other ethernet boards configured in the kernel.
>
>I thought I saw an other cry for help earlier from someone else, but I
>never saw an answer...

I've never seen this bug with a wd8003E, but with SMC Elite 16C Ultras
(also ed driver) this means that you have configured your kernel for
more floppy drives than you have.

You probably have the line:
fdc0    at isa? port 0x3f0 irq 6 drq 2  # standard PC floppy controllers
fd?     at fdc? drive?

Try replacing it with:
fdc0    at isa? port 0x3f0 irq 6 drq 2  # standard PC floppy controllers
fd0     at fdc? drive?
fd1     at fdc? drive?             # if you have 2 floppy drives

For some reason the extra floppy drivers find some ethernet cards and
confuse them (I have yet to figure out how or why, though more clueful
people than myself who are in the MIT area are welcome to use my
machine to debug this behavior).

I'd be curious to know if this is your problem as well...

Alexandra Ellwood             finger aellwood@monk.mit.edu for PGP public key
IS/DCNS (MIT)           http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/aellwood/aellwood.html
<aellwood@mit.edu>                        "Never trust squirrels named Carl."