Subject: Conditional install in makefiles
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Birrell <current-users%netbsd.org@cimlogic.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 07/10/1995 08:06:57
Now that the discussion about the handling of include files has died down
[without a satisfactory outcome IMHO], what about the conditional install
of libraries?

I agree that a 'make install' in /usr/src/include only updates the include
files if they have changed. But if I do a 'make install' from /usr/src, I find
that libraries are re-installed, yet these were supposed to have been
installed before the linking of the programs that I am now installing. Then
when I do a make from /usr/src, all the programs get re-linked. With this
style of build, the system never comes up-to-date. You can (and I expect you
*will* 8-) argue that nothing has *really* changed, but can you be *sure*?

I should (again IMO) be able to sup to get my /usr/src tree up to date, then I
should be able to do a 'make something' (like build, without the cleandir) to
compile and link and install. Then if I repeat the process I expect that
nothing will need to be compiled, linked or installed.

Anyone agree?

Regards,

--
John Birrell                                CIMlogic Pty Ltd
jb@cimlogic.com.au                          119 Cecil Street