Subject: how to have generic root and non-generic swap?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/08/1995 17:35:28
(Sorry about the bogus empty message I just sent.  It takes two ^Cs separated
by a few seconds to kill mail...)

I have a spare root partition on SCSI ID 1, which I wanted to use to test out
the latest-and-greatest sources before committing to wiping out my root (as
I've said).  I don't have a swap partition on that drive, though, and with
my original kernel options like of

	config		netbsd  swap generic

I find that I can't use "swapon /dev/sd0b" to enable swapping on the original
swap partition.  Unfortunately,
	config		netbsd	swap on sd0 and sd1
results in config complaining that I didn't specify a root partition (which
I don't want to do, since I'd just like it to use the partition I booted).

Is there a way to do this?  Is there any documentation on how config works,
beside the source and the fabled "Building 4.4 Systems With Config"?