Subject: Re: MAE on Sparc?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.tujunga.ca.us.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/1995 20:46:04
A few days ago, Christos wrote:
> In article <199507031253.FAA04528@Kahului.Stanford.EDU>
> jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu (Jonathan Stone) writes:
>>
>> Has anyone tried (successfully or otherwise) to run MAE on
>> NetBSD/sparc?   Supposedly it requires Solaris 2.3.
>>
>> Is NetBSD's SysVR4 binary emulation such that this should ``just work''?
>>
>> I don't yet have a SPARCstation on which I can install NetBSD, or
>> I'd try it out for myself.   However, I view installing NetBSD
>> as far, far preferable to installing Solaris ...
>
> I don't know what MAE is nor I have access to a binary, so I can't say if it
> would run or not.  The SVR4 emulation on NetBSD/sparc just started working
> [I got dynamically linked binaries to run two weeks ago] so I would doubt that
> it would "just work".  On the other hand, there is not much left to do other
> than run binaries and see what system calls don't work/need to be implemented.

Note that I've changed "AME" to "MAE" in the above quotations/subject; I am
assuming that Jonathan meant "MAE" - Apple's Macintosh Application Environment
or "virtual Mac" product - rather than "AME".  (Of course, he may be dyslexic.
But that's OK; after all, dyslexics have more fnu!  (-: )

Anyway, here are the shared library dependancies of MAE and related programs:

bubbles:1:27 [/opt/apple/bin] % ldd appleping appletalk atlookup macd mae
appleping:
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
appletalk:
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
atlookup:
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
macd:
        libw.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libw.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libresolv.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libresolv.so.1
        libelf.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libelf.so.1
        libintl.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libintl.so.1
mae:
        libw.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libw.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1
        libsocket.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1
        libnsl.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1
        libvolmgt.so.1 =>        /usr/lib/libvolmgt.so.1
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libintl.so.1 =>  /usr/lib/libintl.so.1
        libadm.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libadm.so.1
        libelf.so.1 =>   /usr/lib/libelf.so.1

To use AppleTalk, MAE provides a Solaris 2.[34] AppleTalk driver.  It also
funnels MacTCP requests into the underlying O/S TCP somehow.

The AppleTalk part is obviously out of the question.  As for the remainder, I
would suspect that MAE does stuff that would make it highly unlikely that it
would do much of anything but keel over under NetBSD/SPARC.

In a similar fashion, I'd entertained notions of porting HotJava and Java to
NetBSD, but their source tree is so Solaris brain-damaged and the code is
dependant on Threads that I quickly gave up.  I don't even know why they put
the code out there, if you want people to port it to other O/S's the least you
can do is try to make it a little bit portable here and there ...

	- Greg