Subject: Utility submissions?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/03/1995 00:48:25
Let's assume there's a convenient utility I like to have around, that
I think might make a useful addition to the system.  What do I do to
submit it?  Is there a good way to find out if the functionality is
already there?

The specific utilities I have (which do need some polish) are:
1.  A wrapper on stat(2) suitable for shell use.  I'd like to give it
some formatted output capabilities, but right now, it's a useful sysadmin
tool, sometimes.

2.  A columnizer.  I know there are sort of such things already, but mine
does the right thing for "ls | c".  (i.e., gets stty, or gets terminal size,
or assumes 80).

I'd like to see netbsd pick up some of the useful utility ideas out there.
(In particular, "c" is commonly found, named "2", "3", etc., on some version
of Unix, I forget which.)

-s