Subject: Re: Future of NetBSD??
To: None <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 07/02/1995 17:38:54
   > it.)  So far, the only `interesting' foreign program that FreeBSD has
   > run is the Linux version of DOOM.

   I have heard from people who are using the SCO emulation to run a
   commercial database system (don't remember precisely which one).

I hadn't heard about that.  Ours runs Informix and WordPerfect 6.0,
BTW.

   > But this has come at a cost -- GPLed code and other aggressive
   > licensing terms

   So what?  If you don't like the licensing terms (and I don't either),
   then don't use the frobs that require GPLed drivers.  The only thing
   presently in the FreeBSD kernel source tree covered by the GPL is some
   guy's ISDN driver, which I very much doubt anyone would miss if it
   went away tomorrow.

Where to start...  Have you looked at the licensing terms on the
`matcd' driver?  It may not be GPLed, but it's clearly unacceptable.

   > It's really a matter of goals.  The FreeBSD team is trying to compete
   > with Linux at a feature level.

   It sure would be nice if Charles could avoid making nonsense
   statements about the goals of a group of which he is not a member
   and to whose discussions he is not privy.

Excuse me?  That's public knowledge.  In fact, here's the most recent
sound bite from Jordan:

`The Linux users already have [...].  We have [...].  Both very nice
to have, I'll grant you, but we still have quite a ways to go to catch
up!  :-)'

There are many such statements available.  It's quite clear that at
least your ring leader (Jordan) is very much in competition with
Linux.

Anyway, since this no longer has anything to do with NetBSD, further
discussion is not appropriate for this list.