Subject: Rationale for converting if list to TAILQ
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/1995 16:29:49
Do the core team ever discuss rationale for changes made to the system?

The reason I ask is that in the past couple of months, the method used to
link struct ifnets has changed from a simple pointer to a TAILQ.  I found
this out the hard way trying to install my firewall code at 1 AM (must
ship tomorrow) and it broke due to the change.

I don't mind that the change was made, but I'm wondering what advantages
there are to changing something simple like a pointer into a more
complicated list structure.  Adding a new interface is faster, but that's
not really worth the savings - it's only done once at configuration time.

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key