Subject: Is anybody winning with tip?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1995 21:02:21
I've found that tip is largely useless because it insists that carrier
be present before opening a line, and therefore winds up printing the
``all ports busy'' message regardless of the actual state of a line
that I want to use.

tip on BSDI has (apparently) been hacked so that it doesn't insist on
carrier being present, which seems much more useful in today's modern
world.

I've hacked tip so that it (a) doesn't wait for carrier detect on
open, (b) uses termios instead of the old tty compatibility interface,
and (c) is heavily prototyped.   Unfortunately, it (d) doesn't dial
modems anymore, or at least it doesn't dial the courier modem.   Of
course, I can dial it myself with the AT command set, which is what
I've always done anyway, but I could see where somebody else might be
upset by this loss of functionality.

So the question I have is, is anybody actually winning either in using
tip the way I want to use it, or in using it to actually automatically
dial the modem?   Does the ACU code work?

Positive and negative replies are welcome!

			       _MelloN_