Subject: Re: Kernel library (libkern) Makefile glitch on pmax?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@deshaw.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/1995 01:29:29
In article <199506272314.QAA00379@toccata.fugue.com> mellon@fugue.com (Ted Lemon) writes:

>That change was made just recently, and I haven't updated since I
>rebuilt.  I'm not thrilled about building a new copy of libkern for
>every kernel I build either, although I do think it's winning to have
>one for each architecture.  I think it would be better to have a
>libkern directory under arch/foo/compile in which the libkern build
>gets done.
>
>I'm sure that your random.c problem will affect other pmax users, so
>please feel free to check in the quick fix you've suggested.  I
>actually have a number of changes to check in to make
>cross-compilation work automatically, so I can't guarantee any sort of
>lasting fame as a result, but it'll probably help other people to do
>their builds.

I agree that this is a bug.  I am not thrilled too, not that much
because there is a separate copy of libkern build for every kernel
config, but because I think that the Makefiles are too complex. I am
still thinking about the problem and I hope to come up with a better
scheme for kernel libraries soon.

christos