Subject: Problems with identd?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1995 11:26:27
I bring up a PPP connection to school to transfer a few files.  U of T wraps
all login and FTP requests with an identd probe.

I notice that login and FTP requests take ~20 seconds to connect.  Also:

  PID TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
  157 ??  R      2:39.36 identd -w -t60 -l -o -e -N
  163 ??  R      1:39.40 identd -w -t60 -l -o -e -N

Is it normal for identd to consume over a minute of CPU time?  Only two identd
probes were made as far as I know.  I can turn on logging in my firewall to
make sure.  And why two processes?

--
David Jones, M.A.Sc student, Electronics Group (VLSI), University of Toronto
           email: dej@eecg.toronto.edu, finger for PGP public key