Subject: Re: Problems with sh on June 20th tar balls (more info)
To: Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@labatt.com>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1995 06:50:27
Hi Scott,

> I was building based on the instructions by Alistair G.  Crooks near
> the beginning of these instructions, after building the new kernel
> etc.  he notes:
>
> # it was at this stage that I got REALLY fed up with the
> # sh: warning: running as root with dot in PATH
> (cd /usr/src/bin/sh ; make && make install &&  make cleandir)
>
> Should I skip this step and have the make of world cover off a new
> 'sh' for me.  I can live with the root with dot in PATH stuff if
> that would solve the problem ?  Did I typedef rlim_t correctly ?

Yes, you typedef'd it correctly, although the better way would be to
refrain from building sh until after the loader has been built and the
new include files installed.  This makes the new installation
instructions look like:

The following instructions have helped other people upgrade to -current

[Remember to make yourself a new config (not config.old) kernel config file.]
[Make sure you have COMPAT_10 as part of your kernel config options.]
[This assumes that the -current source is in /usr/src]

(cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config ; make && make install && make cleandir)
# if you don't do this, config of your kernel config file will
# fail with errors in files.i386

(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas ; make && make install && make cleandir)
# if you don't do this, you won't be able to build locore.s, with
# errors about cpuid instruction not found

(cd /sys/arch/i386/conf ; config MYKERNEL)
(cd /sys/arch/i386/compile/MYKERNEL ; make depend && make)
# copy  new kernel to /, and boot off it

(cd /usr/src/share/mk ; make install)
# if you don't do this, you'll get errors building gcc, when it
# doesn't know how to make the manual pages (don't know how to make gcc.0)

(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2 ; make && make install && make cleandir)

# Bernd Wiserner says that the ld.so that will be built next will
# work only with libc.so.12.0, not with libc.so.12.3
# His instructions to make a working ld.so follow:
# Do NOT run ldconfig while doing the folowing 5 lines ...
(cd /usr/src/include ; make && make install)
cp -p /usr/libexec/ld.so /usr/libexec/ld.so.good
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld ; make && make install && make cleandir)
cp -p /usr/libexec/ld.so.good /usr/libexec/ld.so
(cd /usr/src/lib ; make && make install && make cleandir)
# Then build ld.so again ...
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld ; make && make install && make cleandir)
# Thanks, Bernd...

# it was at this stage that I got REALLY fed up with the
# sh: warning: running as root with dot in PATH
(cd /usr/src/bin/sh ; make && make install &&  make cleandir)

# and now back to the beginning and make the world
(cd /usr/src/bin ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/sbin ; make && make install && make cleandir)

mkdir /usr/share/doc/usd/13.viref
# otherwise "make install" in /usr/src/usr.bin will fail because
# the destination directory doesn't exist - from Tom Thai

# if you're using the obj directory hierarchy, use
(cd /usr/src/usr.bin/lex ; cp initscan.c obj/scan.c)
# otherwise (i.e. no obj directory hierarchy)
(cd /usr/src/usr.bin/lex ; cp initscan.c scan.c)
# if you don't, then lex won't be built

(cd /usr/src/usr.bin ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/usr.sbin ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/libexec ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/gnu ; make && make install && make cleandir)
(cd /usr/src/share ; make && make install && make cleandir)

mkdir /usr/share/doc/usd/30.rogue /usr/share/doc/usd/31.trek
# otherwise "make install" in /usr/src/games will fail
# actually, last time I tried this, the dirs were already there - agc

(cd /usr/src/games ; make && make install && make cleandir)

Cheers,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.