Subject: Re: route and routed
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Brian Moore <ziff@eecs.umich.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/1995 06:33:22
Does anybody know what changed recently to result in making the route command
hang?  I've had this happen on my machine and it is definitely related to a
name lookup.  Before the sources on 20th, the "route add ?? localhost" call
during boot would query the local name server, and since it wasn't up yet,
time-out rather quickly and then use the host file.  Now the time-out is really
long, but I can't seem to find out what recent change has affectted this.  From
the comment in res_send, it seems that if we don't connect with a name server,
we should be getting back a ECONNREFUSED and we shouldn't be using the
time-outs. But it seems like it is connecting with the local name server port
anyway and waiting for a response.  Does anybody have any ideas on why this is
happening?

--Brian