Subject: Re: route and routed
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Gary D. Duzan <gary@wheel.tiac.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1995 00:24:54
In Message <199506230200.TAA04467@MindBender.HeadCandy.com> ,
   "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com> wrote:

=>
=>>   I just did a sup off the new server and a build. Everything seemed
=>>to go fairly well, except that /etc/netstart got stuck trying to
=>>"route add $hostname localhost". Control-C would allow it to continue,
=>>and the route was not added. I stuck an ampersand on that line, and now
=>>the system comes up cleanly and with the local route. This makes me
=>>suspect that route is looking for routed (which isn't up yet in
=>>/etc/netstart) and won't continue unless it finds it. Has anyone else
=>>seen this? Thanks.
=>
=>It's probably trying to resolve a hostname without any way of doing
=>so.  Make sure the hostname is correctly identified in your /etc/hosts
=>file, and that you have "lookup file bind" (or something with file
=>first) in /etc/resolv.conf.  Or, if you can't or don't want to go to
=>all that trouble, use the IP# instead of the hostname in the "route
=>add" command.

   That did it. But something much have changed, since it worked
before. Maybe a timeout value on bind connect? The entries were
in /etc/hosts.

                                      Gary D. Duzan
                         Humble Practitioner of the Computer Arts