Subject: Re: Future of NetBSD??
To: James Jegers <jimj@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/1995 18:23:35
>      What happened to NetBSD?  It used to be the greatest with all kinds
>      of neat new things.  I'm starting to wonder where all the development
>      effort in NetBSD has went.  I understand people just work on NetBSD
>      for the fun of it, but how come FreeBSD and Linux are so far ahead
>      of us?

Maybe it's because they (esp. Linux) have more users which somply concentrate
on one platform, and therefore don't have to think about as much things as "the
NetBSD folx" have to?

>      I know NetBSD's philosophy is to only give out the best written,
>      best operating things in it's system.  I think we need to change
>      that philosophy.  NetBSD-current is a system that is supposed to be
>      full of things which  don't work or are in progress of being worked on.

Are we (...) Microsoft to let people do the beta-testing???

>      I'm not saying anyone has done anythng wrong, I just think that the
>      CORE teams job should be to incorporate things others have written, and
>      not spend so much time writting new things.  Fix bugs, incorporate
>      things people have written, and then work on things they think
>      should be fixed/redesigned.

For people interrested in testing out things, they can still contact the autor
if the ting is half-stable so they can beta-test it on their own machines not
annoying anyone who doesn't want the particular feature. I see this working on
the amiga quite fine, and only things that are 99% (100%?) stable get into
-current.

Jus tmy $0.02 worth...

Hubert

--
      Weekdays: Rennerstr. 19, D-93053 Regensburg, Tel. 0941/943-2455