Subject: Why did it hang? (How to boot on second device?)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/1995 19:11:18
After putting a fresh set of binaries on the "a" partition of my
second SCSI drive (sd1), I attempted to boot with that as the root.
(i386; told the boot prompt "sd(1,a)/netbsd -s".  It gets through the
autoconfiguration, says "changing root device to sd1", then "WARNING:
no swap space found" (which is correct, there is no "b" partition on
that drive), then it just sits there.  The same kernel boots to single
user mode on sd0, so the kernel itself seems to work; however, I'd
like to be able to run the new binaries from a separate partition for
a while so I can avoid smashing a running system.

The kernel is configured with "config	netbsd swap generic"; does
this mandate the use of a swap partition?  What else am I doing wrong
here?