Subject: .profiles for different systems
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/1995 23:43:01
I'm getting tired of maintaining user-level configuration files (.profile,
etc) for every different OS I use.  Anyone got some words of wisdom on how
to do this?

I thought about CVS, but CVS seems more oriented towards making a single
source tree from multiple source-vendors, rather than the other way around.

I was thinking of running cpp over the files and rcp'ing them to the
different systems, but I figure there's already better systems for doing
this (or at least good scripts).  I don't expect it to be less than O(n)
work, where n=# of os's, but centralizing changes (for consistency) would be
nice.
--
VaX#n8 (vak-sa-nate) - n, CS senior++ and Unix junkie - vax@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Deal with evil through strength, yet encourage good through trust.    - PGP me