Subject: installation help?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bmilliga@NMSU.Edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/16/1995 14:54:41
I am trying to update to -current/i386 (from tar files of about 3
weeks ago) and cannot quite seem to get it right.  In short, the
problem is that compiling lots of the utilities leaves me with
binaries that simply return with no errors, but they don't do
anything.  No compilation errors occured, so I am at a loss.  Any help
greatly appreciated.

In more detail, here is what I did during the install.

(cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/config; make && make install)
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gas; make && make install)
make a new kernel and reboot
(cd /usr/src/share/mk; make install)
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2; make && make install)
(cd /usr/src/bin/sh; make && make install)
(cd /usr/src/include; make && make install)
(cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ld; make && make install)
(cd /usr/src/lib; make depend && make && make install)
(cd /usr/src; make depend && make && make install)

During the last make I got some errors compiling tn3270, lex, and some
of the games, but I skipped over them and continued.  I also had to
copy fmt.c from 1.0 to compile w (ps apparently doesn't need that file
in -current).  Finally, I couldn't get /usr/src/gnu/lib/libg++ to
compile, nor could I get /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2 to compile the
second time through the source tree even though I had the first time
(see above).

Except for these problems, I was able to get the entire source tree to
compile.  However, when I installed the sources it became evident that
the binaries weren't working when the entire thing died immediately
after installing make.  Continuing with the 1.0 make, it died
immediately after installing install.  When either of these (or almost
anything else from the newly compiled sources) is run, I simply get
the prompt back immediately with no action whatsoever.

This is my first time through the -current installation so I'm sure I
neglected something obvious, but I can't figure it out.  Any ideas are
most welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook

Brook Milligan	                   bmilliga@nmsu.edu
Department of Biology              505-646-7980
New Mexico State University        505-646-5665 FAX
Las Cruces, New Mexico  88003