Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
From: Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcswork.hcs.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/15/1995 00:00:18
>From the keyboard of Andrew Wheadon:

> > You don't *need* an adaptec controller to remap blocks.
[...]
> The only software I know of that does it is the builtin-software
> on the Adaptec. I was asking for other software for Unix (or for DOS
> with included drivers.)

There are 2 DOS programs for 154x/174x adaptors available: one is called
SCSI.EXE and one is called SCSICNTL.EXE. I got both from uunet a year or
so ago from a directory named pub/vendors/adaptec if i recall it correctly.

SCSI.EXE lets you diagnose, scan and remap blocks, SCSICNTL.EXE lets you
edit the mode pages and (re-)format a disk drive.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis        GFKT HCS Computertechnik GmbH        Hamburg, Europe
  Unplug cables at least semi-annually to allow unused bits to drain. (HP RAQ)